1. Food

Barbara Rolek

Cooking with Balls

By February 6, 2013

Cooking with Balls
"Cooking with Balls"
Ljubomir Erovic/YUDU
It's no news flash that countries worldwide are experiencing falling currencies and rising food prices.

One enterprising Serbian chef and World Testicle Cooking Festival champion, Ljubomir Erovic, has grabbed the bull by the, er, horns and offers an alternative to expensive cuts of meat with his recently published e-book, "The Testicle Cookbook: Cooking with Balls."

The presents recipes for testicle pizza, battered testicles and more upscale testicles la Bourguignonne, to name a few, using an animal part that would otherwise be relegated to a narrow group of aficionados or dog food.

The book is available for download from YUDO in English and Serbian and comes with how-to videos showing the Serbian chef peeling and slicing his favorite testicles -- bull, stallion and ostrich.

"All testicles can be eaten, except human, of course," says Erovic, who has cooked testicles for 20 years. "The best for aphrodisiac properties are sheep and stallion testicles."

Erovic has organized the annual World Testicle Cooking Championship held in Serbia since 2004 where 1 ton of testicles are prepared by chefs from Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Norway and Serbia, among others.

Testicles as part of regional cuisine is nothing new. In the United States, they're called variously (depending on the animal they come from) cat frys, mountain oysters and other euphemisms. What has me wondering is how many of you out there have eaten testicles? Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain, you don't count. I want to hear from Joe the Plumber!

Comments

October 20, 2008 at 2:21 am
(1) Elaine Lemm says:

Hi Barbara
There wasn’t really an answer for me … yes I have eaten them but I didn’t love them or hate them. I felt pretty indifferent. Was was interesting, my husband and other male guests t the meal were horrified and got quite upset about it all!
Cheers
Elaine

October 20, 2008 at 2:55 am
(2) Randall says:

You make a good point about considering food sources normally disdained as a way of dealing with our current economic challenge (okay… disaster). Our forefathers wasted nothing. We have become the most wasteful society in the history of the world. And our wastefulness has been encouraged as a means of keeping our economy “robust”. But it doesn’t matter how much consumers spend. When your imports so drastically exceed your domestic production eventually everything is going to fall apart.

October 20, 2008 at 4:55 am
(3) easteuropeanfood says:

Elaine’s comment about the male guests in her dinner party being horrified at the prospect of eating testicles is a short wonder when this most sacred of male body parts (according to men, anyway) is the plat du jour. But, then, if I had testicles, I might feel the same way!

October 20, 2008 at 8:49 am
(4) Debbie says:

Unless carrots grow testicles, I’ll never try them. I’ve been vegetarian for 15 years.

October 20, 2008 at 10:34 am
(5) Kerry says:

Don’t forget the “Testicle Festival” in Montana that celebrates Rocky Mountain oysters, as they are known there.

October 20, 2008 at 10:49 am
(6) Charlie says:

Thank you, but I’ll pass.

I think I’d join Debbie in vegetarianism before I’d resort to testicle-eating.

Ridiculous? Perhaps. But grant me my hang-ups.

October 20, 2008 at 11:56 am
(7) Beth says:

An ex-brother-in-law fixed them one day. All of us who knew what they were declined, but my cousin came in after all the chatter, and he gave her a plateful. She said they were really good, and only shrugged when told what “mountain oysters” really were.

October 20, 2008 at 11:56 am
(8) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

Just one more reason I’m happy to be a vegetarian. I’m curious though, don’t these end up in hotdogs?

October 21, 2008 at 9:27 am
(9) Kyle says:

Elaine beat me to it. I’ve had them and they leave me indifferent. Which means I wouldn’t run out to buy them — if I’m bent on saving I prefer legumes as a protein source — but wouldn’t turn green either if someone served them to me.

October 21, 2008 at 1:12 pm
(10) jh says:

Coming from Colorado, I definitely have eaten them. They aren’t so bad but I can’t see making them an everyday part of the diet, regardless of the economic downturn. How many of us even know where to find them? It’s not like they are hanging out next to the chicken breasts at the local market.
jh
bodanutritiontips

December 29, 2008 at 5:38 pm
(11) Brian says:

They have a big Rocky Mountain Oyster feed here in Idaho, but I have to be honest – I have never tried them. I have also never tried cow tongue, fish eye balls, or intestine of any sort. I am an adventurous eater, but I have my limits.

Incidentally, the platform on which this book is hosted, YUDU (http://www.yudu.com), provides an excellent self publishing tool and community for promoting your content. You can upload anything from presentations to eBooks. It is an easy way to share your expertise, as long as it isn’t cooking testicles. :)

June 1, 2009 at 10:31 am
(12) shaun says:

I have 2 14 and 16 month old bulls I’m having slaughtered, will these large balls be any good to eat?

June 1, 2009 at 11:06 am
(13) easteuropeanfood says:

I’m not the expert here, but I would think the younger the animal, the better off you are. Check out the book to see what this Serbian chef has to say.