1. Food

Barbara Rolek

Easter Lamb Cake Recipe

By March 27, 2013

Lamb cakes are wildly popular in Eastern Europe for Easter. My grandmothers brought that tradition to the States, but it wasn't until my mother and aunt purchased a cast-iron lamb mold in the 1950s that they started making them from scratch. It's a tradition that is still going strong among my cousins.

I recently learned that the mold was made by the Griswold Manufacturing Co. in Erie, Pa., and that it's a modern antique or collectible worth some bucks! See what Pamela Wiggins, About's Guide to Antiques, has to say about Griswold in this article on collecting heavy metal.

Easter Lamb Cake
Easter Lamb Cake
© Barbara Rolek licensed to About.com, Inc.
The key to successful cast-iron cooking and baking lies in a well-seasoned mold or pan. It's easy to do and, if properly cared for and stored, should last the life of the product. If the pan gets scratched or if you buy a rusty antique, just reseason it. It'll work like magic!

Griswold Cast-Iron Lamb Cake Mold
A Well-Seasoned Griswold Cast-Iron Lamb Mold
© Barbara Rolek licensed to About.com, Inc.
How to Season Cast-Iron Cake Molds

Easter Lamb Cake Recipe

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Polish Wafle Are Made on a Seasoned Cast-Iron Press

Video of How to Season Cast Iron

More Cast Iron Tips and Recipes from Diana Rattray

Sign up for the Eastern European Food newsletter
Check out the Eastern European Food forums
Friend me on Facebook

Comments

November 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(1) cindy says:

Where can I buy a “cast iron lamb cake mold?” This is the exact replica of the one my grandmother used for years.

November 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(2) easteuropeanfood says:

Hi Cindy. I emailed you privately, but these types of molds can be found online through antiques dealers and on ebay. Search for Griswold cast iron lamb cake mold. Here’s one source: http://www.goantiques.com/detail,lamb-cake-chocolate,1993885.html

March 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm
(3) Jeannette says:

I would love one of the 1950′s Lamb Molds. My mother was Polish and had one. Unfortunately, my oldest sister got it and refuses to share. The Griswold one is not as pretty as the one my mother had.
Please send me any information you may have.

Thank you so much.

March 30, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(4) Barb Rolek says:

Jeannette, these types of molds can be found online through antiques dealers and on ebay. Search for Griswold cast iron lamb cake mold. Hereís one source: http://www.goantiques.com/detail,lamb-cake-chocolate,1993885.html

I’m sorry your sister isn’t willing to share. There seems to be a lot of that going around in families!

March 20, 2013 at 8:20 am
(5) Sue Krusoe says:

I have a mini cast iron lamb mold from my grandmother and would like info on adapting baking time for it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sue krusoe

March 27, 2013 at 12:19 pm
(6) Sandy says:

You can occasionally find them online. I’m lucky to have the one my grandmother used for Easter when I was a child in the 50′s. I’m going to get the bunny when I have a chance. The lamb was always the centerpiece on the dining room table covered in coconut. daffodil in its mouth and surrounded by colored hardboiled eggs. Easter tradition that’s still going strong.