Here is a larger photo of Pear Kugel with Prunes.
You might also enjoy these recipes from Joan Nathan's book: Brandade Potato Latkes Recipe and Polish Hanukkah Apple Cake Recipe.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 9-inch Pear Kugel with Prunes
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds (4 cups) ripe Bosc pears
- 2 small onions (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 loaf white bread (about 7 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or pareve margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9-inch springform pan with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Peel the pears, and cut all but one of them into 1-inch cubes. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Lightly sauté the onions until they are translucent. Remove from the heat, salt lightly, and allow them to cool slightly.
- Soak the bread for a few seconds in lukewarm water, and squeeze dry. Put in a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix with 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the butter or pareve margarine. Stir in the eggs, the onions, and half of the diced pears, setting aside the
remaining pears for the sauce. Pour the batter into the springform pan, and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours.
- While the kugel is baking, make the sauce. In a heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat, put 1 cup water, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the prunes, cinnamon, lemon juice, and the remaining diced pears. Cook this compote mixture uncovered for 30 minutes. Finely grate the reserved whole pear and stir it into the cooked compote.
- When the kugel is done, remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool for about 20 minutes. Unmold from the pan onto a serving platter, and spoon half of the compote over it. Serve the remaining compote on the side.
- Note: You can make this kugel using only prunes or plums in place of the pears, and use them in the sauce as well.