Here are two more recipes from Fishbein's book -- Raspberry Mustard-Crusted Chicken recipe and Lamb Shanks with Cherries and Port recipe
Here is a larger photo of Susie Fishbein's Sweet Spaghetti Squash Kugel.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Squash must be baked in advance: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 15 svgs Spaghetti Squash Kugel
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) spaghetti squash, washed and dried
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced peaches, syrup drained and discarded or saved for another purpose
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine (butter for a non-parve dessert)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9-inch casserole or oven-to-table dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the whole spaghetti squash onto a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour or until slightly darker i color and a little soft when you gently squeeze the sides. You are looking for obvious depressions but be careful not to puncture the skin, as the flesh will be really hot. The time may vary ased on the size and weight of the squash. It may need an extra few minutes but don’t overcook the squash or it will come out mushy. Do not turn off oven.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool until it is easy enough to handle. Once the squash is cool, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Use a fork to scrape the flesh into spaghetti-like strands and place them into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and add to the squash. Pick out any loose seeds and discard. Mix in the apple, peaches, and cinnamon. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the margarine (or butter, if using) and brown sugar, stirring often. When they are melted and smooth, remove from heat. Add the cornflake crumbs and pecans. Mix well. Sprinkle over the squash. With a sweeping motion, spray the top of the kugel lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the kugel does not jiggle when shaken.