Here is a larger photo of Russian / Ukrainian Sorrel Soup or Schav.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Russ.-Ukrainian Schav
- 1 pound young sorrel leaves, washed, stemmed as for spinach and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine or oil
- 1 large minced onion
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspon kosher salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large beaten egg yolks
- Sour Cream
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté sorrel and onions for about 10 minutes or until sorrel is wilted and onions are translucent. Add water or stock and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and lemon juice a little at a time, tasting after each addition of lemon juice, until desired tartness is achieved.
- Temper egg yolks with a few tablespoons of hot soup, then stir tempered egg yolks back into soup. Turn heat on and cook until slightly thickened and simmering but do not boil as the eggs will curdle. Serve hot or cold with sour cream.