Here is a larger photo of Russian Cabbage Soup or Shchi.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Russian Cabbage Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 large head cabbage cut into shreds
- 1 large peeled and coarsely grated carrot
- 1 chopped celery rib
- 1 bay leaf
- Black peppercorns to taste
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 large peeled and coarsely chopped russet potatoes
- 2 large peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes or 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté onion in butter until translucent. Add cabbage, carrots and celery and sauté about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bay leaf, peppercorns and water or stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes to soup and bring back to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring back to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Remove bay leaf and peppercorns from pot, if desired. Serve soup in warm bowls with dill and sour cream as garnish. Accompany with rye bread, if desired.