Here's a larger photo of Russian Fish Soup - Ukha.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 6 serving Russian Ukha Fish Soup
- 2 pounds filet of pike, perch, cod or salmon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fish heads and / or bones
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium sliced onions
- 1 chopped celery rib
- 2 large peeled and sliced carrots
- Black peppercorns to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt or to taste
- Fresh dill or chopped chives or green onions for garnish
- In a medium-large saucepan, place fish bones and water and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Add onions, celery, carrots, peppercorns, parsley and salt and again bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove bones and strain, if desired, pressing on the vegetables to extract all the juices. I leave the vegetables in.
- Add fish pieces and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until fish is cooked. Serve in heated bowls with fresh dill or chopped chives or green onions, if desired. Traditionally, fish soup would be served with mini fish dumplings or mini fish pies.