Click here for a larger image.
Take this virtual tour of a sauerkraut factory.
Makes 30 Sauerkraut Balls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 (2-pound) bag or can sauerkraut, drained, squeezed and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) cooked ham, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg plus 2 large eggs mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- All-purpose flour
- Fine cracker crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in ham and flour and cook until brown.
- In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, 1 egg, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and beef stock. Add to contents of skillet and cook on low until mixture forms a thick paste. Remove from heat, cool and chill 3 hours or overnight.
- In a deep saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees. Using a cookie scoop, form 1-inch balls. Roll balls in flour, dip in 2 eggs mixed with 2 tablespoons water and roll in cracker crumbs. Let sauerkraut balls dry for 10 minutes then deep fry until brown on all sides. Watch carefully, because this will only take a few minutes. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with frilled toothpicks and honey mustard, if desired.