Makes 8 to 10 servings Beef Burek or Burek s Mesom
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Vegetable, sunflower or pumpkin seed oil
- 1 1-pound) package thawed #7 filo dough
- 6 large beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Bulgarian or Greek plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups soda water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, saute onion and ground chuck until meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain in a colander. Return meat-onion mixture to skillet and add parsley, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute, mixing thoroughly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Lightly coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Separate filo dough into two piles (about 14 sheets each) and keep covered. Half will go on the bottom of the pie and half will go on the top. (Read these tips on Working with Filo Dough.)
- Place 2 sheets in prepared pan and brush lightly with oil, folding in any overhanging edges. Add 2 more and brush with oil. Continue until you've used one pile of filo.
- Spread the ground chuck mixture evenly over the filo and to the ends. Begin covering the meat with the remaining filo, again using 2 sheets at a time and brushing with oil.
- Brush entire top lightly with oil. Using a serrated knife and a sawing motion, cut burek all the way to the bottom into 12 squares.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs with yogurt and soda water. Pour over burek. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
- This makes a great luncheon course, entree or appetizer and freezes well cooked or uncooked.