Compare this recipe with meat burek recipe #1 and meat burek recipe #2, and cheese burek recipe #2. Follow these easy steps for how to make burek.
Makes about 12 servings Meat Burek - Burek s Mesom
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound ground lean pork (eliminate the pork and use more beef and lamb, if desired)
- 1/2 pound ground lean lamb
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (1-pound) package thawed filo dough
- Vegetable, sunflower or pumpkin oil
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups soda water
- In a large skillet, cook the meats, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Drain in a colander. Return to pan and mix with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- Separate filo dough into 3 piles (about 9 sheets each) and keep covered. Read these tips on Working with Filo Dough.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Lay down 3 sheets of filo dough and lightly brush with oil. Repeat two more times until you've used one pile of filo. Spread half the meat mixture on. Then lay down 3 sheets of filo dough from the second pile and lightly brush with oil. Repeat two more times until you've used the second pile of filo. Spread with remaining meat mixture. Then, using the last pile of filo dough, lay down 3 sheets at a time, brushing lightly with oil, until the pile is finished.
- Tuck any straggly ends down the sides of the pan and, using a sawing motion and a serrated knife, cut the burek to the bottom into 12 slices.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs and oil. Add sparkling water and mix slightly. Pour over the burek and let sit 2 minutes. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes or so before serving.