Makes 12 servings of Croatian Squid Salad
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 whole yellow onion, peeled
- 2 bay leves
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 5 pounds squid (fresh or frozen and thawed), thoroughly cleaned (see below)
- 1 red onion, sliced into very thin rings
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Source: Louisiana Cookin', December 2005.
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in large stock pot. Add whole onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, cleaned squid, and reserved tentacles and fins, and cook for about 5 minutes or just until squid is soft. Don't overcook! Drain and allow squid to cool to touch. Discard the poaching vegetables, tentacles and fins.
- To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine red onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and set aside.
- When squid is cool, slice into 1/4-inch rings and place in a lage bowl, Toss with dressing and allow to marinate in refrigerator 2 to 3 hours. Serve on a platter of greens. Squid salad is traditionally eaten with boiled potatoes and reserved marinade.