Spiced tea is a traditional and much loved hot beverage in Russia. In the glory days of the tsars, it was served from gleaming silver samovars but, these days, a saucepan will do just fine. This is a traditional beverage for the Christmas holidays.
Yield: 8 cups Russian Spiced Tea
- 8 tablespoons black tea leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange or tangerine zest
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the tea leaves, cloves, zest and cinnamon sticks into a cheesecloth bag and tie the top tightly. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, add the bag, remove from the heat, and allow to steep, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the honey & lemon juice and serve. This tea may be made in advance and kept for two to three days if it is covered and refrigerated.
- Source: RusCuisine.com