Polish blueberry cordial is so pretty in the glass but, beware, this benign-looking drink packs a wallop. This alcoholic beverage takes several months to steep, so make it well in advance of drinking. It makes a wonderful addition to an edible gifts basket.
Makes about 1 quart
- 2 1/2 pounds blueberries, washed and stemmed
- 1 quart good-quality vodka
- 2 cups sugar
- Combine blueberries and vodka in a large, sterilized glass container. Seal and set in a dark, cool place for 1 week.
- After 1 week, pour through a sieve, reserving blueberries, and transfer blueberry-infused vodka into a clean, sterilized glass container and seal. Add sugar to blueberries, mix well and transfer to a separate clean, sterilized glass container and seal. Place both containers in a dark, cool place for 1 month.
- After 1 month, thoroughly combine blueberry mixture with vodka, strain and pour into a clean, sterilized glass container. Seal and allow to age in a cool, dark place for several months. Blueberries may be discarded or served over ice cream or pound cake the same day.