This Polish Strawberry Cordial - Likier Truskawkowy - has quite a kick, so don't be deceived by its sweet and fruity flavor. This makes a great addition to an edible gifts basket, so make sure you start it months in advance. It takes time to age, but the wait is worth it!
Makes about 1 quart of Polish Strawberry Cordial
- 2 1/2 pounds strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 quart good-quality vodka
- 2 cups sugar
- Combine strawberries and vodka in a large, sterilized glass container. Seal and set in a dark, cool place for 1 week.
- After 1 week, pour through a sieve, reserving strawberries, and transfer strawberry-infused vodka into a clean, sterilized glass container and seal. Add sugar to strawberries, mix well and transfer to a separate clean, sterilized glass container and seal. Place both containers in a dark, cool place for 1 month.
- After 1 month, thoroughly combine strawberry mixture with vodka, strain and pour into a clean, sterilized glass container. Seal and allow to age in a cool, dark place for several months. Strawberries may be discarded or served over ice cream or pound cake the same day.