This basic sweet yeast-raised dough is excellent as a base for any number of coffee cakes, cinnamon rolls and other pastries. Here is a larger photo of Czech Poppyseed Crown Coffee Cake or Bábovka.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Rising time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 1 large Czech Poppyseed Cake
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 (12.5-ounce) can Poppyseed Filling
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Heat milk and butter until warm and butter melts. Add to dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer at low speed until blended.
- Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1 cup flour and beat 2 more minutes. Stir in remaining flour or just enough to make a stiff dough. Either turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic, or switch to the dough hook and knead until smooth and elastic and the dough cleans the sides of the bowl, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-cup kugelhopf pan and set aside.
- Punch down dough. Roll out on lightly floured surface to an 8x15-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with poppyseed filling to within 1/2 inch of edge all the way around. Sprinkle evenly with raisins and orange zest. Starting from the long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style. Pinch seam together to seal. Place, seam side down, in prepared pan, joining the open ends and pinching them together. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour or until top is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen sides of cake from pan with a butter knife if they are stuck and invert onto the wire rack to cool completely. When completely cool, dust with confectioners' sugar.