Bulgarian drob sarma is a main course offering made with chopped lamb or calf's liver and rice, topped with a savory egg custard known as zalivka.
Makes 6 servings of Bulgarian Drob Sarma
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 pound lamb or calf's liver, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bunches chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups hot lamb or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- In a large Dutch oven, saute liver in butter. When nearly done, add onions and saute a few minutes. Add drained rice and saute, coating with fat.
- Add hot stock, salt and pepper to taste and mint. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer to a greased 9-inch-by-13-inch pan. Combine eggs with yogurt to make the custard (zalivka) and spread over liver-rice mixture. Bake 10-15 minutes or until custard is golden brown.