Makes 1 Serbian Lenten Pogacha Bread
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (not more than 110 degrees)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, sugar and oil and stir until completely mixed. Add flour and mix until a cohesive dough forms. Knead until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a flat round. Transfer to a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Prick loaf all over with a fork. Rub top of bread with oil. Let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes in a warm place. Bake 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees. Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.