Compare with the World's Easiest Cookie recipe. Here is a larger photo of Croatian Lamingtons or Čupavci.
Makes 24 (2-inch-square) Croatian Lamingtons or Čupavci
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 recipe Moist Sponge Cake made in a 13x9-inch pan
- 1/2 recipe Vanilla Pastry Cream
- Chocolate Coating:
- 4 to 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk
- Coconut flour, like kokosovo brasno from Vitaminka
- Slice cooled sponge cake in half horizontally. Place bottom half into a clean parchment-lined 13x9-inch pan. Pour pastry cream on top and then place top half of sponge cake on pastry cream. Place in freezer for several hours or until firm enough to cut easily.
- To make chocolate coating: If you are only going to cover the tops of the squares, use 4 ounces of chocolate and 1/2 cup milk, otherwise, use the larger amounts. In a microwave safe bowl, place chopped chocolate and milk. Heat for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth. The chocolate should be on the thin side but not runny. You may have to add more milk. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Invert sponge cake onto parchment paper and peel off parchment paper that lined the bottom of the pan. Invert again onto a cutting board. Trim all four sides of the filled sponge cake so you have a perfect rectangle. Cut into 24 even squares. Make sure squares are semi-frozen before dipping in warm chocolate, otherwise the pastry cream will run out. Quickly dip all sides of the squares into chocolate, then dredge in coconut. It gets a little messy, but the result is worth it. For a neater job, dip only the tops of the squares in melted chocolate and dredge only the tops in coconut. Store covered in the refrigerator.