This easy Croatian nut roll recipe only takes one rise and the filling comes together on the stove. To ensure against leaks, this nut roll can be baked in greased loaf pans. For a gluten-free version, check out Teri Gruss' Gluten-Free Nut Rolls Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Rise about: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
Yield: 2 Nut Rolls
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant or rapid-rise dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Nut Filling:
- 1 pound walnuts, ground finely like sawdust
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter
- Make filling first. In a medium nonstick saucepan, mix together all filling ingredients. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on medium-low, stirring frequently (if using a pan that is not nonstick, watch and stir carefully so the filling doesn't burn), until mixture is thick. Cool completely before spreading on dough, but don't refrigerate because it will become too firm to spread.
- For the dough: In a large saucepan (or in a microwave-safe bowl), bring sour cream to boil. Remove from heat and stir in, until well blended, 3 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking soda and salt. Cool to 120 to 130 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- While sour cream mixture is cooling, in a large bowl, whisk together flour and yeast. Add eggs to cooled sour cream mixture and add to flour-yeast mixture. Mix with hands until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to form a smooth ball. Cover with an overturned bowl or greased plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes.
- The dough will be soft. Divide in half. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time and using as little extra flour as possible, roll to 1/4" thickness. Spread with half of the filling.
- Flip the sides of the dough in and then roll from the bottom up. Place in a greased loaf pan and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, covered with greased plastic, until light. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 35 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Then invert pan onto a wire rack. Cool nut roll on its side.