Here's a larger photo of Serbian Potato-Stuffed Peppers with Tuna.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Potato-Stuffed Pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 ribs finely chopped celery
- 2 large peeled and shredded carrots
- 4 to 5 finally chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup water or more, as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 medium red bell peppers (or a combination of red and yellow)
- 2 medium shredded zucchini or yellow squash (optional)
- 2 (5-ounce) cans undrained white albacore tuna in water (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet and add onions. Saute for 7-8 minutes. Add celery and carrots and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes more, adding water to prevent potatoes from sticking to pan. Mix in parsley.
- While the vegetables are cooking in step 1, wash the peppers, cut off the tops and remove the seeds. Lightly season with salt and set aside while you finish the filling.
- At this point, to the cooked potato mixture, Vlada adds the chopped pepper tops, shredded squash for flavor and to add a creaminess to the dish, and the tuna (water and all) to bulk up the protein. Mix well.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a deep baking pan with cooking spray. Fill peppers with stuffing. Cover and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and fresh bread.