Makes 6 to 8 servings Serbian Spinach Pie or Pita Zeljanica
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 2 boxes thawed frozen chopped spinach or 3 pounds fresh spinach, cleaned, blanched and chopped
- 1 pound grated brick cheese
- 1 pound large-curd creamed cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 large beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 8 sheets thawed filo dough
- 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Squeeze spinach dry. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine spinach, brick cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, eggs, flour and corn meal, and set aside.
- Lightly brush a 13x9-inch pan with melted butter. Lay down 1 sheet of filo dough, and lightly brush it with butter. Continue with 3 more sheets of buttered filo so you have a base of 4 sheets of buttered filo dough.
- Spread filling evenly over filo base. Lay down 1 sheet of filo dough, and lightly brush it with butter. Continue with 3 more sheets of buttered filo so you have a top of 4 sheets of buttered filo dough, the same as for the base. Brush liberally with remaining butter, trimming excess edges of filo dough or turning them in toward the center.
- Bake 45 minutes, more or less, or until top is golden and filling is set (test with a thin knife). Let cool, cut into squares and serve warm or cold.