There are many variations of raznjici (RAHZ-nyee-chee). Some use only pork, others use a combination of pork and veal, and sometimes lamb. The meat is usually marinated before being threaded on skewers (a great project for the kids) and grilled. If you don't want to fuss with making your own marinade, Italian dressing works in a pinch.
View this larger image.
Makes 4 to 6 servings of Raznjici
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (or a combination of pork and veal)
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions plus 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 15 small bay leaves, broken in half
- Pat the meat cubes dry and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Place in a nonreactive bowl or pan with the oil, garlic and sliced onions. Coat thoroughly. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill or broiler. Remove meat from bowl or pan and discard the marinade. Thread 2 meat cubes alternately with 1 bay leaf half on skewers for a total of about 6 to 8 meat cubes per skewer.
- Broil 6 to 8 inches from flame or on an
outdoor grill for 10 minutes per side or until no pink shows in the center when cut or when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees.
- Raznjici may be removed from the skewers before serving or left on. Sprinkle chopped onion over razjnici and serve with Serbian potato salad or Serbian cole slaw, if desired.