Makes 4 to 6 servings of Serbian-Croatian Salt Cod with Potatoes or Bakalar s Krumpirom
Prep Time: 48 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 49 hours, 30 minutes
- 2 pounds salted cod
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices lemon, rind removed
- 1 pound potatoes
- 4 finely chopped cloves garlic
- 1 large finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Soak salt cod in lukewarm water for two days, changing the water twice a day. After soaking, do not remove the skin and bones. Place cod in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt, pepper, bay leaf and lemon slices. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until tender. Take the cod out of the water and remove the skin and bones, and discard, but reserve the water. Break the cod into pieces.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the potatoes with the skin on. When tender, but not mushy, remove potatoes and peel as soon as cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices or quarters and set aside.
- Put remaining oil, garlic, onion (if using) and pepper to taste in a large skillet. Saute garlic until soft and then add the fish, potatoes, and as much reserved cooking water as necessary to achieve a consistency that is not too dry. Cook over low heat until heated throughout and flavors have married, about 15 minutes. Add more oil, if necessary. Garnish with parsley. Can be eaten warm or at room temperature.