Here is a larger photo of Coconut Custard Cream Trifle.
Cook Time: 1 hour
Refrigeration: 4 hours
Total Time: 5 hours
Yield: 12 servings Coconut Cream Trifle
- Coconut Custard Cream:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Sponge Cake:
- 1 Hungarian Sponge Cake baked in a 13x9-inch pan and cooled
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped with 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Seasonal fruit (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- To make the coconut custard cream: Stir cornstarch, water and vanilla in a small bowl to dissolve the cornstarch. In a heavy medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and return to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 2 1/4 cups coconut. Cool completely. Stir in sour cream. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the cream and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To assemble trifle: Crumble cooled sponge cake and layer half the sponge cake crumbs in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Pour on half the coconut custard cream followed by half the toasted coconut and a third of the whipped cream. Repeat ending with the last third of whipped cream on top. Garnish, if desired. Refrigerate several hours before serving.