And it couldn't be easier because it's made with just three ingredients -- angel food cake mix, pumpkin purée and applesauce. That's it! And it comes together, from the time you open the can to the time it comes out of the oven, in 30 minutes. Don't expect this to taste like pumpkin pie, the crumb is light and airy like angel food cake. To keep it completely fat-free, dust with confectioners' sugar, otherwise a drizzle of melted chocolate is a nice touch.
Here is a larger photo of Easy Pumpkin-Apple Angel Food Bars.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 Pumpkin-Apple Angel Food Bars
- 1 (16-ounce) box Angel Food Cake Mix (the kind that just calls for water to be added to the mix)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup sweetened or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spices (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 15x10-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin and applesauce, and spices if using. When well combined, whisk in the angel food cake mix until no streaks of mix remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until cake tests clean (begin testing after 20 minutes). Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Or, to satisfy both factions, while the cake is still hot, sprinkle a combination of white and semisweet chocolate chips on half of the cake. Wait a few minutes and then spread the melted chocolate over half the cake, creating a marble effect. When completely cool, cut into squares and serve.