Here is a larger photo of Easy Tangerine Soufflé Recipe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Citrus Soufflé
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tangerine or other citrus fruit zest
- 3/4 cup tangerine juice (from about 4 tangerines) or other citrus fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Create a collar out of doubled parchment paper and tie it around a 6-cup soufflé dish. Lightly coat inside of dish and collar with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar, tapping out excess. Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in tangerine juice and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasioally. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer at medium-high speed until light in color, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in 1 tablespoon of the thickened tangerine juice. Beat in remaining thickened tangerine juice. Set aside.
- With clean, grease-free beater, whip egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar (more if using lime, lemon or grapefruit juice) and whip until medium peaks form (they will droop a little instead of standing up straight). Carefully fold half of the egg whites into the yolk mixture just until combined. Then carefully fold in remaining whites trying not to deflate the volume. Transfer to prepared soufflé dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until soufflée is puffed and browned. Do not open the door. Remove from oven, remove parchment collar and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately. The soufflé will fall but don't be dismayed. This is normal. It doesn't affect the taste at all. If desired, serve with citrus zest and sliced strawberries or blueberries.