Here is a larger photo of Mini Tropical Angel Food Cake.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 Mini Angel Food Cake
- 6 large room-temperature egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweetened crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream whipped with 1 to 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Place rack in center of oven and heat to 325 degrees. In a large bowl or stand mixer, whip egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt, and whip until soft peaks form. Add sugar in 2-tablespoon increments until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle flour over egg whites in thirds, carefully folding after each addition. Carefully fold in vanilla or coconut flavoring.
- Transfer batter to an ungreased 6 1/2 to 7-inch tube or pannettone pan that is at least 3 inches high. Gently level the top and sprinkle evenly with coconut. Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 40 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- Place cake on a platter. When ready to serve, mound drained pineapple in center of cake and decorate with whipped cream. I pushed a small paper cup into the hole in the cake and filled it with the pineapple so it wouldn't make the cake soggy and piped whipped cream around to hide the cup. I portioned out some of the pineapple with additional whipped cream when I served the cake. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.