Here is a larger photo of Poppy Seed Streusel Quickbread.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 2 Poppy Seed Quickbreads
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup evaporated (not condensed) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- Brown Sugar Streusel:
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- To make the cake: Heat oven to 300 degrees. Coat two 8 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine eggs, oil and sugar until well mixed. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add all at once to egg mixture and stir just until well combined. Stir in milk, vanilla and poppy seeds until well incorporated. Do not overmix. Pour into prepared pans. Place in oven.
- To make the streusel: While cakes are baking, in a medium bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons flour and 10 tablespoons brown sugar. Cut in butter as for pie dough until large clumps form. Sprinkle on cakes after 30 minutes of baking. Continue baking for another 15 to 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick after loaves have baked 45 minutes. Remove from oven and run a knife around edge of pan. Turn cakes out onto a wire rack, turn right side up and cool completely.