Makes 1 (10-inch) Apple Custard Pie
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 8 ounces melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated in a food processor
- 5 large eggs, beaten to a light froth
- 1 thawed sheet puff pastry (1/2 a 1-pound box)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and sugar. Add apples and lemon zest, and mix thoroughly. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Line a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan with the puff pastry, crimping the edges, if possible, and trimming off excess. Pour batter into pastry-lined pan and place on a baking sheet. Brush edges of puff pastry with milk or cream and bake until surface of pie is lightly browned, about 30 minutes, possibly longer.