I used leftover King Cake and the cream cheese offset the sweetness of the dried fruits to a T. A dollop of vanilla ice cream, sweetened whipped cream or Easy Vanilla Custard Sauce is the perfect finish. This is also delicious for breakfast, brunch and potlucks. View this larger image of Cream Cheese Bread Pudding.
Makes a 13"x9" pan of Cream Cheese Bread Pudding.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 pound stale fruitcake, raisin bread, chalka, challah or hoska, cubed
- Butter a 13"x9" baking dish. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar. Mix in vanilla and cinnamon until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the half-and-half and mix well.
- Add the bread cubes, pushing them into the egg mixture and let them soak for 2 minutes before pouring into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap and bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and just slightly crispy. Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, or warm syrup or fruit sauce.