This quick bread is delicious for breakfast or dessert as is or toasted and slathered with plain or flavored cream cheese. Here are more Eastern European Green Tomato Recipes and here's a larger photo of green tomato bread.
Makes 1 (8"x4") loaf Green Tomato Bread
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 cup grated green tomatoes (seeds, skins and all)
- 1/2 cup light or dark raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large slightly beaten eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8"x4" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, raisins, walnuts, sugar, oil and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to tomato mixture and stir just until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and bake 55 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling on a wire rack. Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.