Here is a larger photo of Savory Beet and Carrot Strudel.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Vegetable roasting: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 1 Beet-Carrot Strudel
- 4 large carrots, peeled, split lengthwise into fours and then into 2-inch lengths
- 4 medium beets, washed, and stem and root ends cut off
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup crumbled farmers cheese
- 4 sheets filo dough
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Chopped toastd pumpkin seeds or whole roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place carrots in an ovenproof bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Place beats on large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and drizzle with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap tightly and place on baking sheet with carrots. Roast until tender. Approximately 45 minutes for carrots and 1 hour for beets. Remove from oven. Carefully unwrap and beets and let beets and carrots cool to room temperature. Slice beets into julienne strips.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Lay one sheet of filo dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, if using. Repeat with remaining three sheets of filo dough. Scatter cheese along first third of last layer of filo dough (long side). Next lay down the carrots and then the beets. Roll up from the long side as you would for a jellyroll. Tuck the ends under and brush the entire strudel with melted butter. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and filo leaves begin to separate. Serve warm or cold.