Here is a larger photo of Tomato-Cheddar Bread Pudding.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 svgs. Tomato-Cheddar Pudding
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4 ounces French or Italian bread sliced 1/2-inch thick and cubed
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided use
- 2 large seeded tomatoes sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place oven rack in middle of oven and heat to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, sauté onions in butter until beginning to caramelize. Remove from heat, transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Lightly grease a 6-cup baking dish with butter. Layer bread cubes, 3/4 cup cheese and tomatoes in the greased dish.
- Add eggs, milk, salt and pepper to bowl with cooked onions and mix well. Pour over ingredients in dish. Bake 40 minutes. Scatter remaining 1/4 cup cheese down center of pudding and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Remove from oven and let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.