This was a dish my grandmother made for her hard-working steel mill husband. She'd fry the meat quickly and serve it with caramelized onions. If she had mushrooms, they went into the skillet, too. It's a great meal to this day.
Here's a larger picture of cube steak.
Makes 4 servings of Easy Beef Cube Steak Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 (6-ounce) beef cube steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sliced onions
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms, optional
- Salt and pepper
- Season cube steaks generously with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a large skillet and add onions. When they are translucent, add the mushrooms, if using, and saute 10 minutes or until onions have caramelized and mushrooms are nearly cooked, and the water has almost evaporated.
- Push the vegetables to one side and add the cube steaks (in batches, if necessary) and add more butter, if necessary. Fry the steaks quickly -- about 2-3 minutes per side -- or until done.
- Portion cube steaks with caramelized onions and mushrooms on heated plates and drizzle any accumulated juices over the meat. Serve with rye bread and boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes.