Here's a larger picture of asparagus-pea soup.
Makes 6 servings of Asparagus-Pea Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound shucked fresh peas
- 4 cups hot vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan saute onion in butter or oil until tender but not caramelized. Add asparagus (reserving the tips for garnish) and peas.
- Add hot broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree in a blender (in batches, if necessary), leaving it somewhat chunky.
- Season to taste and warm, if necessary, but no further cooking is necessary. Serve garnished with a crouton, dollop of sour cream and a few asparagus spears.