View this larger image of Quick and Easy Mushroom Barley Bacon Soup.
Makes 4 servings Quick and Easy Mushroom Barley Bacon Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms of choice (exotic or button)
- 6 (14-ounce) cans low-fat, low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup instant barley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs of choice (thyme is nice)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onion and carrots and saute until vegetables begin to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in Canadian bacon, heat through. Ladle into warm bowls.