Here is a larger photo of red beet marmalade.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: About 1 1/2 cups Beet Marmalade
- 1 (1-pound) jar julienned beets, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch ginger
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add beets and saute 10 minutes. Add sugar,salt, pepper and ginger. Cook about 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Carefully add vinegar. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has evaporated and beets are caramelized and thickened, stirring frequently. This will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Watch the beets carefully so they don't burn.
- Serve warm or cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Reheat as necessary.