Here is a larger photo of Easter Meatloaf.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 servings Easter Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 pounds veal shoulder, fat removed, cut into very small pieces, but not ground
- 3/4 pound pork shoulder, fat removed, cut into very small pieces, but not ground
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 3 stale rolls or 4 slices stale bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup melted lard or bacon grease
- 1 cup stock of choice
- In a large bowl, mix together meats, salt and pepper, and eggs. Soak rolls or bread in milk and squeeze almost dry. Chop the bread and to meat mixture with 1/4 cup of the bacon. Fry the remaining 1/4 cup bacon with onion until caramelized but not burned. Cool completely. Add to meat mixture and mix thoroughly. Fry up a small portion of the mixture and taste it to make sure it is seasoned correctly. Make any adjustments to the rest of the mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape meat mixture into a loaf shape and bake free-form in a roasting pan or in a 9x5-inch loaf pan placed on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Baste top of meatloaf with melted lard or bacon grease. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 185 degrees. Add stock, as necessary, basting frequently.