Makes about 18 Czech stuffed cabbages or holubky
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 1 (4-pound) whole head cabbage
- 1 tablepsoon butter or oil
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) hot or sweet paprika
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomato juice
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove core from cabbage. Place whole head in a large pot filled with boiling, salted water. Cover and cook 3 minutes, or until softened enough to pull off individual leaves. You will need about 18 leaves.
- When leaves are cool enough to handle, use a paring knife to cut away the thick center stem from each leaf, without cutting all the way through.
- Chop the remaining cabbage and place it in the bottom of a greased casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Saute the chopped onion in butter or oil in a small skillet until tender, and let it cool. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with ground beef, ground pork, rice, egg, salt, pepper and paprika, combining thoroughly. Don't overmix or the meat will become tough.
- Place about 1/2 cup of filling on each cabbage leaf. Roll away from you to encase the meat. Flip the right side of the leaf to the middle, then flip the left side. You will have something that looks like an envelope. Once again, roll away from you to create a neat little packet.
- Place the cabbage rolls on top of the chopped cabbage in layers in the casserole dish or Dutch oven. Pour tomato juice over rolls, bring to a boil, cover and place in oven. Bake for about 2 hours or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked.
- Serve with pan juices and a drizzle of sour cream, if desired.
- Cabbage rolls freeze well before or after cooking, and can be made in a slow cooker (see your manufacturer's instructions).
Note: Since they can be eaten hot or at room temperature, mini cabbage rolls make great appetizers. Just spear them with a frilled toothpick and you're good to go!