SHORTCUT: Use pre-shredded cabbage.
View this larger image of Czechoslovakian Braised Cabbage
Makes 6 servings of Czechoslovakian Braised Cabbage
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or butter or olive oil
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 4 slices bacon, chopped 1/4 inch
- 1 (3-pound) head white or green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In large skillet or Dutch oven, heat bacon fat and saute onions 8-10 minutes or until lightly colored. Stir in bacon and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cabbage and caraway seeds, mixing well.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Add vinegar, water, salt, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover tightly and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is done to your liking. Add water if necessary.