Eastern European Food Basics
- Getting Started With Eastern European Food
- Essential Eastern European Herbs, Spices & Ingredients
- Glossary of Eastern European and Culinary Terms
- Eastern European Holidays & Festivals
Getting Started With Eastern European Food
So, in the grand scheme of things, what constitutes Eastern Europe and which countries make it up? Well, there's some debate about that but, for our purposes, it will include Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
Essential Eastern European Herbs, Spices & Ingredients
While dill is common throughout much of Eastern Europe, some countries have their unique blend of herbs, spices and ingredients.
- Common Eastern European Herbs & Spices A to H
- Common Eastern European Herbs & Spices I to P
- Common Eastern European Herbs & Spices Q to Z
- Common Eastern European Ingredients A to H
- Common Eastern European Ingredients I to P
- Common Eastern European Ingredients Q to Z
Glossary of Eastern European and Culinary Terms
In addition to definitions and images for many Eastern European terms, you will also find definitions and images for universal culinary techniques such as "tempering."
- Eastern European Glossary Entries A to H
- Eastern European Glossary Entries I to P
- Eastern European Glossary Entries Q to Z
Eastern European Holidays & Festivals
The best way to discover the "flavor" of a country is through the customs and traditions surrounding its holidays and festivals. Many have religious overtones, while some are just modern adaptations of ancient pagan ceremonies. Food and feasting is always an integral part of celebrations and the sheer volume of recipes can be mind boggling.
Eastern European Food Sources
Sometimes a person's best-laid plans can be sabotaged by the inability to find an ingredient for a recipe. Here are sources for not only ingredients, but ready-made dishes that can be shipped lickety-split.
In addition to Eastern European cookbooks, classic cookbooks and reference volumes are listed to demystify Eastern European cooking, and reviews of the latest cookbooks are offered.
Kitchen Tools and Gadgets
Tools and gadgets that are specifically used by Eastern European cooks are listed, as well as those indispensable in any kitchen, plus product reviews.