The Bottom LineChicago Metallic's Pain de Mie (Pullman) Pan with Lid is a winner. It lived up to its description and, so far, I have had unqualified success with this pan in different applications.
Pain de mie is French meaning literally "bread of the interior" and referring to a soft-crusted, soft sandwich bread. In English, it is called a Pullman pan, referring to its resemblance to a Pullman train car. This type of lidded pan is essential when making breads that require long bakes like a black bread.
Suggested Retail Price: About $44.95
Where to Buy: King Arthur Flour and BakeryBits
Would I Buy It? Definitely
How the Manufacturer Describes It
- Nonstick steel-and-aluminum, for best strength and conductivity
- Produces a thin-crusted, square-cornered bread
- Ideal for close-grained, soft white sandwich breads and others
- Measures 13" x 4" x 4"
- The pan is sturdy and well-constructed and its nonstick steel-and-aluminum properties help breads slide out with ease, but greasing is recommended.
- Pullman pans are ideal for sandwich breads but also for rye breads, like black breads, which require long bakes and whose tops would burn without the lid.
- The perfectly square pan is versatile and makes it ideal for terrines, patés, sweet or savory tortes, tea sandwiches, square angel food or sponge cakes, pound cakes, frozen desserts, and more.
- It is not dishwasher safe, but the pan can go in the refrigerator or freezer with no compromise in integrity for use in pates and mousses .