Makes 1 pint Hungarian Lekvar
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 pound dried apricots or pitted dried prunes
- Water to cover
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar, as desired
- Place apricots or prunes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook until fruit is soft, adding more water as necessary.
- Remove from heat and puree fruit in a food processor or blender. Return to saucepan, add 1/2 to 1 cup sugar and cook until thick.
- Place hot lekvar in hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Cover with hot sterilized lids and rings. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove to counter and allow to cool before storing in a cool, dry, dark place.
- If you don't process in a water bath, the butter can be kept refrigerated for up to three weeks or frozen for up to one year.