Here is a larger photo of Hungarian Rice Cake Recipe.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 9-inch Hungarian Rice Cake
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup rice
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 1/2 cup light or dark raisins (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Confectioners' sugar
- Plum preserves for garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine milk, rice and pinch salt. Cook on low heat for about 35 minutes or until tender and creamy. Remove from heat, stir in butter, and let cool to room temperature.
- Place rack on middle shelf of oven and heat to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Combine egg yolks with sugar, and raisins and zest if using. Mix into rice mixture until well incorporated.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Mix 1/4 of the whites with rice-yolk mixture to lighten it. Then gently fold in the remaining whites trying not to deflate the volume. Transfer to prepared pan and bake until golden brown and toothpick tests clean, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of plum preserves and whipped cream, if desired.