Makes about 6 servings of Hungarian Sour Cherry Cake - Meggyes Lepény
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound fresh washed, stemmed and pitted sour cherries (left whole)
- 6 ounces unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Vanilla sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10x6-inch rectangular tart pan, or a 9-inch square or a 9-inch round cake pan and dust with bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and half the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and continue creaming until well incorporated. Add the flour and salt, mixing well.
- With clean, grease-free beaters, whip egg whites with remaining granulated sugar until stiff. Gently fold whites into cake batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Top with cherries, stem side down. Bake 30 minutes. The batter will partially bubble up and cover the fruit. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Cut into squares or wedges and serve.