Makes about 2 1/2 cups Hungarian Cherry Sauce or Cseresznye Martas
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound washed, stemmed, pitted sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a medium saucepan, lightly brown flour in butter. Add cherries, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup half-and-half and sour cream until smooth. If cherries have not given off a lot of juices, you may need to use 3/4 cup half-and half instead of 1/2 cup.
- Temper the sour cream mixture with a ladleful of the cherry sauce. Return the tempered sour cream mixture to the cherries, mix well and heat through on low for about 5 minutes. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature with chicken, potatoes or game meat.