Here's a larger picture of Hungarian ham torte.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of Hungarian Ham Torte - Rakott Palacsinta Sonkaval
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 recipe Hungarian Palacsinta (see below)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 4 1/2 tablespoons + 4 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 pound ground ham
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup cracker crumbs
- Using a 9-inch crepe pan, prepare the Hungarian palacsinta recipe. Stack the crepes on a plate and cover with a towel when done. You should have about 16 crepes. A few more or less won't matter.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with a parchment circle and lightly coat the pan, parchment and all, with cooking spray. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 4 1/2 tablespoons melted butter, egg yolks, ground ham, sour cream, garlic and salt and pepper. Fold in the egg whites until well incorporated.
- Place one crepe in the bottom of the prepared pan and cover with a layer of the ham mixture. It will be a thin layer so you have enough for all the crepes. Continue forming layers, using all the crepes and ending with the ham mixture.
- Mix cracker crumbs with remaining 4 1/2 tablespoons melted butter. Spread evenly over top of ham torte. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until crumbs are golden.
- Cool slightly. Run a knife around the edges of the pan. Remove the springform ring. Slide a spatula under the torte and remove the parchment paper. Place on a serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve with a mushroom cream sauce or other sauce, if desired. Accompany with a salad or green vegetable.