Smoked Hungarian sausage is the star in this one-pot comfort food dish of layered potatoes and hard-cooked eggs smothered in sour cream and bread crumbs, known as rakott burgonya (RRAH-koht BOORR-gohn-yoh). It can be served as a luncheon dish with a green salad, as a main course or as a side dish.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of Hungarian Sausage-Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter plus additional butter to grease casserole dish
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs plus additional for dusting casserole dish
- 8 medium red potatoes, boiled al dente, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound smoked mild, medium or hot Hungarian sausage, cut 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of a large casserole dish with a lid. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Arrange 1/3 of potatoes in bottom of casserole dish and dot with 1/4 of butter. Cover with 1/3 of eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with 1/3 of sausage followed by 1/3 of sour cream.
- Continue layering, ending with sour cream. Cover with an even layer of bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Cover with lid, place on a lipped baking sheet to catch any drips and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.