Makes 4 to 6 servings of Hungarian Cream of Green Bean Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound fresh trimmed green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups + 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, bring green beans, 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, make a roux (known as rantas in Hungarian) by browning the flour in the butter until it is a light amber color. Add pepper, paprika and 1/4 cup water to the skillet, stirring until smooth.
- Temper the sour cream mixture with a few ladles of hot green-bean cooking liquid. Then transfer to the pan with green beans, whisking until smooth. Simmer until broth thickens, 5 to 8 minutes, but do not let it boil. Serve hot or chilled.