Banana peppers or Italian green peppers (elongated) are preferred, but green bell peppers will work.
SHORTCUT: Use 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes instead of fresh.
View this larger image.
Makes 4 to 6 servings of Hungarian Lecso
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 pound banana or Italian or green bell peppers. cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped or use SHORTCUT (above)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (less if using sausage)
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in bacon fat or oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Add pepper and cook another 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and paprika and cook for another 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture resembles chunky tomato sauce.
- Add 1/4 cup cooked rice.
- For an appetizer, add 1/4 pound thin-sliced Hungarian Debreceni sausage
- Toward the end of the cooking time, add 4 beaten eggs and mix in.
- For a main meal, add 1 1/2 pounds smoked or fresh Hungarian sausage.
- For a lunch, serve in a bowl topped with a fried egg.
Barbara Rolek, Your Guide to Eastern Europen Food